Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch bumper question!!

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Folks,
I recently picked up the aluminium winches bumper off eBay and it came with a Watn Winch which works but the solenoid box is toast!!
Think I saw a recommendation for the Thompson solenoid box so will pick up one of them.

Anyway the question, it looks like the winch was attached directly to the bumper, is that ok???? Or should it go onto a Winch plate?? I have added some pictures, cheers

IMG_2002.JPG IMG_2003.JPG

Mine was attached to a custom plate between the chassis & not the bumper. Think this would be best set up.

IMG_3906.PNG

Yep that's what I was worried about, more cost to make or buy a winch plate, who sells them for the 80???
This is the bumper fitted, stuck the number plate over the hole.
Don't like the way it doesn't meet the wheel arcs, might get something made up!

IMG_2007.JPG IMG_2008.JPG IMG_2010.JPG

Winch wants to be on a mount separate to the ally bumper. You can get universal winch mounts, that's all my winch is mounted to, might just need to drill some holes in the right place to match the chassis.

What he said - ally will not take any significant forces, it sits over the winch and mount.

Unfortately thats the surgeon
Yep that's what I was worried about, more cost to make or buy a winch plate, who sells them for the 80???
This is the bumper fitted, stuck the number plate over the hole.
Don't like the way it doesn't meet the wheel arcs, might get something made up!

View attachment 108062 View attachment 108063 View attachment 108064

Unfortunately that's the case. Mine was made I think but can't be sure as I didn't fit it. . Pretty easy if you know hold to weld. Hope you find a easy option.

IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0175.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't winch off that bumper it will rip it's self apart.

Get a universal winch tray but just make sure you measure the chassis rails as on a 80 they are very wide and the plate could not be wide enough.

That bumper is menthe to have bolt on wings that gives back to the wheel arch.

The winch should be attached to the chassis as said above, by means of a heavy gauge steel plate.

With most steel winch bumpers, this connection is already made, but with an alloy bumper, you will need a steel winch mount plate to attach the winch to the chassis.

Don't winch off that bumper it will rip it's self apart.

Get a universal winch tray but just make sure you measure the chassis rails as on a 80 they are very wide and the plate could not be wide enough.

That bumper is menthe to have bolt on wings that gives back to the wheel arch.
Cheers for the info, will look for a winch plate, have asked on the 80 series FB page to see if anybody has got the side pieces because it looks like it may have been OEM in Asia. It's a Rallyspeed/Assie bullbar if anybody is interested!!

I had one to go on mine but ended up selling it.

While looking for a 90 series tray i found the off the shelf prices ludicrous considering its about 30 quids worth of metal . When i asked my local metal fab place to make me one they looked at me like i had two heads so i ended up doing it all myself but i realized during the process i could have just asked them for a couple of brackets of such and such measurements which would give me something to bolt to the chassis , then measured the gap between them and took the brackets back to the shop and ask them to weld a suitable sized plate of 6mm thick steel between them . Depends on the shop i suppose but i doubt the full cost will reach a hundred quid .

If you can wait until next week I think I might have a tjm mount for an 80 series in the shed

I won't be able to check until next week though

If you can wait until next week I think I might have a tjm mount for an 80 series in the shed

I won't be able to check until next week though
That would be great, I haven't been under the truck to start measuring up so a pre made one would be very useful.

Don't waste your time with the Bolt on wings for the end of the bumper.
They are extremely effective at removing the flair from the guard if you even slightly bend the bar by nudging something. I threw mine away.
And then I threw the whole bar away and fitted an ARB bar.
Mount the winch on a mount plate or you could see it flying out the front of the truck when it is least convenient.

That would be great, I haven't been under the truck to start measuring up so a pre made one would be very useful.

Hi If you pass up the winch mount plate please let me know, I've a similar bumper without a winch plate.
Failing that if you happen to get the measurements that would be just as good.

Is this the same with steel winch bumpers or do you (as I always thought) mount the winch to the bumper then the bumper to the chassis? Or, do you have two options when using a steel winch bumper? Tray and bumper mounted?

Is this the same with steel winch bumpers or do you (as I always thought) mount the winch to the bumper then the bumper to the chassis? Or, do you have two options when using a steel winch bumper? Tray and bumper mounted?
Depends on the bumper. A lot but not all of the steel bumpers do have the winch mounted directly to the bumper though.

Fair enough. I think I favour the tray method anyway.

The winch mounts directly to my front ARB.

I've had the bumper cross member strengthened with some RSJ but I'm sure it's not necessary.

Back