Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Cruiser

StarCruiser

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I came to realise over the weekend that I'm well and truly on the slippery slope now so decided it's time for a general thread on my truck. I'll be adding stuff as I go along (to both the truck and the thread) :).

It's an HDJ 81 12v 1HD-T Auto. Around 165000 on the clock but the first 90,000 of that was in km. So around 135,000 miles.

Last edited:
Had a little look yesterday at places to fit connectors for external equipment I intend fitting later. I've always looked at the inside reveal of the tailgate as a good possible spot to mount stuff discretely without drilling holes in the roof.
I found two positions to fit 50A Anderson connectors without fouling anything.
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1129.JPG

There should be plenty of room to fit wires through and around when the tailgate closes within reason. One of these will be for power to the roof tent, the other will be a different colour for connecting a solar panel if and when I get one.
Future plans are for some radio coax cables to run through if I can find suitable angled connectors and possibly lighting.

First camping trip of the season. A weekend away at Sixpenny Handley for a spot of laning and driving across Salisbury Plain.

For a while now, I've been looking at creating some way of easily getting the roof tent up onto the roof and then once it's up there and deployed, to be able to detach it and drive out from under it.

Last edited:
Mines up in the rafters attached to a cheap ebay electric hoist, drive under it, lower the hoist, fix and drive off to the next far flung corner of the planet... etc.

Well today all the bits were ready and while out camping for the weekend I put it all together and tried it out.
IMG_1172.JPG

It consists of a track on the roof rack, a corresponding track on the underside of the tent, plus four attachment tubes to take leg extensions to which modified props were attached.

Result:-
Complete failure. Too much weight over the side of the truck to be able to jack it successfully…and safely. Then the sliding track stuck while reattaching the tent.
So, no, this idea is going in the bin!

First camping trip of the season. A weekend away at Sixpenny Handley for a spot of laning and driving across Salisbury Plain.

Sixpenny Handley is just up the road from me. Fantastic area. Where abouts are you camping?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We are in Church Farm Lorin.
Fancy joining us?

Well today all the bits were ready and while out camping for the weekend I put it all together and tried it out. View attachment 124902

It consists of a track on the roof rack, a corresponding track on the underside of the tent, plus four attachment tubes to take leg extensions to which modified props were attached.

Result:-
Complete failure. Too much weight over the side of the truck to be able to jack it successfully…and safely. Then the sliding track stuck while reattaching the tent.
So, no, this idea is going in the bin!

That's disappointing Rich, is it a design fault or a manufacturing defect?

I suspect the design, those tents are heavy and I'd imagine the props would have to be very rigid to stop twisting and the whole thing becoming unstable.

Is there a Plan B to hand?

Seriously flawed design I'm afraid Clive.

Plan B, hmm, no, not yet anyway. And with two failed projects under my belt this year I'm fast realising it's going to be cheaper and easier to reconsider the whole roof tent idea.
Neither Lynn nor I want to sleep in a tent on the ground so that's out. We would like to be able to pitch up at a campsite and have some transport we can easily jump in and pop down the road for 5 minutes if we need to.

Love the Howling Moon but…

Last edited:
What props did you use Rich ? i gave up searching for some about 4ft high (adjustment either way) with a weight rating better than ok...ish .

Plan B, hmm, no, not yet anyway. And with two failed projects under my belt this year I'm fast realising it's going to be cheaper and easier to reconsider the whole roof tent idea.
Neither Lynn nor I want to sleep in a tent in the ground so that's out. We would like to be able to pitch up at a campsite and have some transport we can easily jump in and pop down the road for 5 minutes if we need to.

Ah, a "in the field" mounting de- mounting system.

Electric mountain bikes have come of age now..

Good thought CG, but Lynn's just not safe on a bike…

We are in Church Farm Lorin.
Fancy joining us?

Would've been great to join you. We were all set to camp this weekend too - it was to be our first trial of a new tent and camping with the little one. Unfortunately she is running a temperature so camping is off.

I was only just down the road this afternoon in Cranborne walking the dog. If I'd have known I'd have popped up to say hi. I hope you have a good time of it.

Thanks Lorin, I'll try and remember the next time.
Weather's looking a bit dodgy so it looks like we will pack up in the morning and tour round Salisbury Plain with the tent on top.

Hope the little one is feeling better soon.

You could always join us round Salisbury Plain tomorrow. @stumog is a possible as is Chris @Lund.

Have you got a swing out rear wheel?

No, it would get in the way too much for my daily use.

I thought being an import it might.

there would be a ready made fixing and pivot point to make a swing out boom with a simple hand operated hoist.

Neither Lynn nor I want to sleep in a tent in the ground so that's out. We would like to be able to pitch up at a campsite and have some transport we can easily jump in and pop down the road for 5 minutes if we need to.

How about making a collapsible frame with 3-4ft legs to pitch the tent on (off) the ground leaving the truck free to move as/when required. There was a guy on the Scottish campsite we stay on a couple of years ago who had done just this. Both he and his Missus didn't want to sleep on the ground so he fabbed up a frame with 3 ft legs from Ali scaffolding poles to mount the rooftop tent on (no idea what make the tent was). Just a thought.

Back