Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New purchase

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Evening all

Finally got my hands on a 120 that I've lusted after for 5+ years when a pal decided it was time to finally let her go.

2003 LC4 with stacks of history, 144k miles, had injectors done and loads of other bits and pieces. One owner from new - never towed.

Any recommendations for a decent towbar that isn't too intrusive? Also will be looking to do parking sensor install, or perhaps a camera as the standard audio device is err...old...lol. The to-do list also allows for an underside refresh, the two front seat bases need some serious work, and some decent tyres.

All ideas/recommendations appreciated. Thanks
20180731_170924_zpsikaxblzv.jpg

Toyota do a wiring loom kit which I used and saves quite a bit of faffing about, but it isnt cheap, think it was about £80 not sure. I got the tow bar which doesn't require cutting the bumper, so long ago now not sure of the make. With the kit it isnt too much of a job.
If you find a source for the foam inside the seats I'd be interested.

Thanks Timbo - I will price the loom.
Would prefer not to cut the bumper so will investigate that.
The local trimmer I use is very creative with foam/filler etc - the door side bolsters on each front seat are very very poor.

Hi that is a good lo:astonished:oking cruiser wot is that shed at the side of it .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ha ha Tony.
That Rangey aint going nowhere!!! Love it to bits

Hi tkhat is one cool looking cruiser wot is that sheds at the side of if to the right.

You can get a rear camera that replaces a number plate light off eBay for £10 then get a double din radio with rear camera screen. Best mod if your towing.

I've just upgraded to a Kenwood system similar to Animal Mother, inc the reversing camera.. Got it pro installed. It is way better than the old system, has improved the sound without even buying new speakers too! The original system isn't rue double din so you'll need the housing adapter too.

May well do the dedicated wiring loom i think. 82 quid at pfjones, used them before.
Not 100% sure whether to do a fixed flange or a swan neck towbar. Similar priced, witter or westfalia.
Thoughts? I have a removeable one on the range rover and do like it but boy its noisy with an empty trailer!!!

The advantage of a fixed flange one is that you can put on a combi ball and pin hitch if needed. If you look at the different Witter ones, one clamps onto the rear cross member (same with the Westfalia) and the other ones also have arms that attach to the chassis rails which might spread the load a bit if towing over uneven ground.

Interestingly Witter only list two bars on their site - one a westfalia !
PF Jones list two witter and one westy but the witter derivatives relate to under vs rear door spare wheel. All just centre mount to rear x member.

Becki - which Kenwood model did you buy?

Embarrassingly had opened the ty142a instructions twice instead of both types.... Idiot.
Tend to agree a spread load is better. Will get one ordered. Thanks flint.

Decided on a route for the radio - Halfrauds had a deal on a last-year model Pioneer.
https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/pioneer-mvh-av290bt-car-stereo

Does't do apple play or android play, nor DAB or satnav. But DAB is patchy here, it does bluetooth streaming so if it's like previous ones I've had my phone navigation app will stream if I really need it to. Has a reverse camera input which was the clincher. Actually looks a bit sleeker than the updated model MVH-A200VBT which was 32 smackers more. The cruiser is not our 'main' car so I figured don't spend like £400 on an all singing all dancing radio for the odd day!!! Pays for the towbar, effectively :)

Now just to source the correct fitting fascia and work out whether to pay a ludicrous amount for Pioneers own camera or whether I can use a Chinese derivative with some jiggery pokery. And work out how the existing unit comes out lol. Happy days!

Chaps

Received my Fascia plate from amazon and its the wrong damned one. Autoleads' website is also incorrect. The one I got is a full 4 sided thing. Perfect shape match for the dash but on the lc4 (at least) the black plastic is one moulding right from below the clock to past the aircon controls etc. See pic 5 on this listing - https://www.amazon.com/DKMUS-Installation-2002-2009-Sizes178x102mm-173x98mm/dp/B00RI5KDYI it doesnt look like theyve cut the Mr T moulding to accomodate the bottom edge. Does it?

I've seen two types - one that looks like a pair of end fillers https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-L...331960?hash=item51fa752438:g:EtAAAOSwCGVX67-2 and one that also has some side brackets https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-D...752152?hash=item280c0b3218:g:HSgAAOSwWHBaFrGR

Anyone fitted one know what I need please? Thanks

Back