Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pro-Speed exhaust

Andy said:
Thanks Chas,

Ive been thinking about one of thier systems for a while now & I think yours has convinced me its worth the long drive (for me)down to Cardiff!

Not sure if I could do it before lincombe, so may get chance have a good look at yours there (if your'e going).

I just wonder if the noise from a side exit when motorway driving would become annoying though, any comments anyone...............!
Andy

I've been happy with my 2 1/2" side exit for three years now.It is a bit noisier than the original, but with the engine and tyre noise it is hardly noticeable. Mine has only one tiny straight through box on it so I imagine it could be made quieter with another box or a bigger one. Most people outside say it sounds good but inside you don't get the same benefit.

Nup Chas
That was bog-standard; no frills, no bells, no whistles, just a straight SS exhaust.

Chas
What I mean by straight - just the usual, no extra time/labour added to the equation for a side exhaust flue for instance
Renate

HauptRenate said:
Chas
What I mean by straight - just the usual, no extra time/labour added to the equation for a side exhaust flue for instance
Renate
Get back to him and say you know someone who had a cheaper quote and ask why yours is more. Tell him you want the same. You did mention the forum discount didn't you?
Chas

Im sure if you mention Chas they will remember him ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rob said:
Im sure if you mention Chas they will remember him ;)
Hey Rob, I'm not quite sure how I should take that :lol:

Renate, when you mentioned it did it make any difference? :?:

Hiyall
hmm! heheheh! :lol: you are probably right Ian....Charlie mi dears hasen't got back to me yet -
probably say "huh! damn girl! the cheek of it!
So I'm preparing to be confounded.... ;)
Cheers
Renate

Hi'yall
Charlie got back to me today;
He confirmed that being a forum member does attract a discount, however, the lowest he can go for a standard system is £469 all inclusive of design fitting and VAT and the side exit system is cheaper at £450.
Cheers
Renate

HauptRenate said:
Hi'yall
Charlie got back to me today;
He confirmed that being a forum member does attract a discount, however, the lowest he can go for a standard system is £469 all inclusive of design fitting and VAT and the side exit system is cheaper at £450.
Cheers
Renate
Go for the side exit then, less likely to be damaged off-road, that's why I opted for that. :D
Chas

I went to see Charlie at Prospeed yesterday to have the exhaust tailpipe modded, when I had the system fitted he was short of a right angled pipe and had to go for a straight rear exit, but he said he would alter it at a later date, that was yesterday, well he did his usual great customer relation act and lived up to his reputation by modding my rear bumper allowing the tailpipe to exit as high as possible, a bit of oxy cutting, a bit of smoothing with the grinder and neat tig welding on the pipe and it's just what I wanted. :D and I've not noticed it sounding any noisier by being a side exit.

IMG_8031.jpg

He also made up a reducer from the 3" pipe to a 2" to fit an air jack I might be getting later, all at no extra charge :D I can thoroughly recommend him, he goes the extra mile. :cool:
Chas

I'm investigating a SS exhaust for mine and am going to get a quote from a Pro-Speed guy here in Bournemouth.

Couple of questions:

1. Do I need a silencer? I thought 'straight through' meant no silencer at all.

2. I am going to fit a long range tank later where the spare currently is. Can the exhaust still be a rear exit system and if so where should the exhaust be routed in order for it to not interfere with the long range tank?

3. If I was going to go for a side exit in front of the rear wheel (which would be my preference), does the exhaust exit between the control arm and chassis, and if so, isn't there a risk or it getting squashed on full axle articulation?

Apologies in advance for substantial ignorance :oops:

Lorin said:
I'm investigating a SS exhaust for mine and am going to get a quote from a Pro-Speed guy here in Bournemouth.

Couple of questions:

1. Do I need a silencer? I thought 'straight through' meant no silencer at all.

2. I am going to fit a long range tank later where the spare currently is. Can the exhaust still be a rear exit system and if so where should the exhaust be routed in order for it to not interfere with the long range tank?

3. If I was going to go for a side exit in front of the rear wheel (which would be my preference), does the exhaust exit between the control arm and chassis, and if so, isn't there a risk or it getting squashed on full axle articulation?

Apologies in advance for substantial ignorance :oops:

I'll answer as many as I can (I got mine at Longlife Exhausts though...)

A straight through system will have silencers (unless you ask for none) but they will be expansion type silencers not baffle type. These are usually packed with a fibre material (glass etc) which damps the vibrations but allows gas flow. I have two in my system and it is too quiet!

The standard route to the rear will allow the fitting of a LRFT. I got Longlife to put a joint in that area so it can be changed easily if need be.

I don't have a side exit, but from looking under mine a side exit wouldn't go between the radius arm and chassis as the std route does, it just turn out from the section that runs outside the chassis rail.

Hope this helps

Cheers for the info Dave.

Given what you say I reckon I may just stick with the standard rear exit then and just the one silencer.

When I chatted to the guy at Pro-Speed about the side exit, he didn't think there was enough room for a 3" pipe to fit between the chassis rail and body. Whilst I reckon it could, the fact that I intend to fit sliders made me think that having the exhaust routed on the outside of the chassis rail may interfere with the slider mounting brackets.

I'm now getting my head around the details of a decent stainless exhaust. Just a couple more questions...

Reading around on other forums about stainless exhausts and a few of them mention getting a decent dump pipe off the back of the turbo. What is this?

When the guy at Pro-Speed was talking me through what he'd do, he said that the new system was from the manifold back and actually utilised the original exhaust mounting bracket (the bit that joins the exhaust to the manifold). Is this right?

Turbos want as little gas resistance as possible so they can spin up quickly. If you have a large diameter behind the turbo it gives a lower pressure area in which to exhaust and that means less resistance means better performance and less lag. :clap:

The other reason is more petrol engine related. When you lift off the throttle in a petrol car, you close a throttle butterfly (no butterflies in old style diesels, some very modern ones do) and the still spinning turbo has nowhere to send it's air. It vents it through the dump valve and that routes it to the exhaust into the dump area. If the dump area is too small the pressure couldn't escape amd may not go out the exhaust but may flow back against the turbo which would slow it creating lag, reducing fuel/air charge and ruining performance. It could ultimately destroy the engine by blowing back through to the induction side. :ugeek:

For the manifold back comment, he is talking about non turbo engines :naughty: - you need a turbo back exhaust and it is quite usual to cut of the exhaust to turbo flange and re-use it after a clean up as it save cutting a new one (obviously only if serviceable). Cutting a new one will cost £30 - 50. :pray:

He may mention Cat back as well, you want turbo back. Later diesels have a cat and yours may have but doesn't need one, one less costly performance sapping box :dance:

Lorin said:
I'm now getting my head around the details of a decent stainless exhaust. Just a couple more questions...

Reading around on other forums about stainless exhausts and a few of them mention getting a decent dump pipe off the back of the turbo. What is this?

When the guy at Pro-Speed was talking me through what he'd do, he said that the new system was from the manifold back and actually utilised the original exhaust mounting bracket (the bit that joins the exhaust to the manifold). Is this right?

Are you talking to the same Pro-Speed as the rest of us because you mentioned Bournemouth but I don't think Charlie has any franchised outlets?

Just before I read your post Jon I was looking at the genuine Pro-Speed website and realised there are no franchises!! So no, it appears I'm not talking about proper Pro-Speed.

I visited a garage in Bournemouth recommended by a friend as being a supplier of Pro-Speed exhausts and spoke to someone there about making a stainless 3" exhaust. I never actually mentioned Pro-Speed when there and nor did they, so it appears my informant may have got his wires crossed :oops:

Back