Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pro-Speed exhaust

That doesn't mean they're bad of course, just that they're not *the* Pro Speed :lol:

So you're going side exit behind the wheel like Chas? I think that's the best place for it. I know some people have had a 3" pipe flattened to fit between the chassis cross member and the body but the norm is to just loop over the axle below the cross member. If you have a body lift then there's be more space for them to work with?

Powerflo exhausts, that's what they do! Not Pro-speed. Apologies for any confusion.

Yeh, loads of room over my cross member courtesy of 2" body lift so should fit the 3" pipe no problem.

:D

Dave Burgess said:
The other reason is more petrol engine related. When you lift off the throttle in a petrol car, you close a throttle butterfly (no butterflies in old style diesels, some very modern ones do) and the still spinning turbo has nowhere to send it's air. It vents it through the dump valve and that routes it to the exhaust into the dump area. If the dump area is too small the pressure couldn't escape amd may not go out the exhaust but may flow back against the turbo which would slow it creating lag, reducing fuel/air charge and ruining performance. It could ultimately destroy the engine by blowing back through to the induction side. :ugeek:

Is this a new development Dave? I've yet to see a dump valve plumbed across to the exhaust, but I haven't looked in that many engine bays ;) Aren't they usually plumbed back to the upstream side of the compressor or vented to atmosphere for that boy racer whoosh sound?

All the best,
Toby

All boy racers want the big whoosh sound :lol: The wastegates usually and some dumps pass to the exhaust on nice quiet production systems to avoid the noise/comply with the regs.

As diesel don't do dumps it won't affect most of us, though I did see on ebay a device that you can add to make the dump noise even without a turbo :roll:

Had mine LC80 done at longlife exhaust nr Bristol, check out my website http://www.performancediesels.co.uk and pictures on one of the pages shows the work done which is truly of high quality and one of the guys there has a 4x4 souped up so he understands my requirement of ground clearance and needs. :thumbup:

Just booked in at Pro Speed to have the exhaust done on 4th Jan. Charlie suggested he route the exhaust inside the chassis rail as opposed to the usual route outside (is also cheaper as shorter route - therefore is my preference!).

I just wanted to check if doing this would still enable me to fit sliders? Has anyone else taken this route with sliders? I know it's quite tight to run a 3" exhaust inside the chassis and aren't sliders typically mounted using a bracket that goes round the chassis?

Any advice appreciated.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't recall there being enough space to do that but if Charlie thinks there is then why not. The chassis narrows quite a lot from just forward of the transfer case ... Sliders usually use a U-bolt or flat plate on the inside of the chassis rail so you don't need loads of space that side, it's the outside where the legs sit that needs the space. In an ideal world, get the sliders fitted before you visit Charlie ;)

My concerm would be if it compromised maintenance access...

Cheers guys :thumbup:

I would fit the sliders first but I haven't sorted them yet! Also, given where Pro-Speed is relative to me it is a big trek just to get the exhaust done. This way I can tie it in with being there anyway as I'm staying in the area for a few days.

I did a search and found that a lot of the Ozzies have routed inside the chassis and Charlie did say he'd done it to a few "Amazons" (wasn't sure if 80 or 100). However, I'll have a good look when it is on the ramp and if it looks like routing on the inside will either compromise maintenance access or impede the fitting of sliders I'll just go the normal route.

Lorin, I was going to route the zorst as you are proposing. This is how Paul at WC Offroad centre has his & he suggested that I didn't do it this way as he gets much more heat coming through the floorpan. I used the OEM route...

Give him a quick call to discuss

Cheers

I have mine routed over the chassis on my 80 series And happy with it, before busted the one that went under the chassis off roading cheers :thumbup:

Cheers Gav that is worth knowing. It gets pretty hot as it is through the floor - last thing I want is to make it any worse :angry-fire:

It was Charlie that suggested it to me - I hadn't even considered it before. I'm now thinking "if it aint broke...." and reckon I'll save myself any 'potential' probs by sticking to the original route.

Lorin said:
Just booked in at Pro Speed to have the exhaust done on 4th Jan. Charlie suggested he route the exhaust inside the chassis rail as opposed to the usual route outside (is also cheaper as shorter route - therefore is my preference!).

I just wanted to check if doing this would still enable me to fit sliders? Has anyone else taken this route with sliders? I know it's quite tight to run a 3" exhaust inside the chassis and aren't sliders typically mounted using a bracket that goes round the chassis?

Any advice appreciated.

he did this to mine 3 years ago- also have sliders from TJM no probs

my only worry was that the hot exhaust so close to the auto box could be an issue, but after 60k miles and a few trips abroad they've been no problem.

Quick update - had the exhaust fitted at Pro-Speed. Pretty much identical to Chas's fit (exist behind the rear wheel). Charlie convinced me to route inside the chassis as there is no compromise to any access and there is more than enough room to fit sliders. To remove the the entire length of exhaust running along the chassis is just two bolts on the join at the rear and the exhaust drops down on the flex joint and simply slides off. However, after having a good look it appears the exhaust won't even need to be removed to drop the gearbox out.

Observations so far after approx 300 miles:

There does seem to be a bit more heat coming up through the floor but not much. Though I imagine it may be worse when the weather is hotter. I may also be being paranoid :?

I don't know whether my old exhaust was OEM or a cheap replacement but there is now a definite improvement in power. The turbo appears to be spooling quicker and there is noticably more power when overtaking and trying to hold speed up steep hills. It is most noticable when driving up the sort of hill that previously necessitated a down change from 5th to 4th - it largely now makes it without needing to change gear and often pretty much held a constant 60 or 70mph when it used to always drop by at least 10mph :thumbup:

Other than a very slight bit of turbo whistle which I didn't notice before, the new exhaust is no noisier when driving. However, itt does sound deeper when started and revved :cool:

Overall a worthwhile upgrade.

Now for the intercooler...... :twisted:

Lorin said:
Now for the intercooler...... :twisted:
You won't regret it, apart that is from an increased fuel bill, that extra oomph is too too tempting :roll:

How much did it cost? and what options were you given for the build as their website lists that every system is tailer made?

I spoke to them only yesterday & he faxed me a diagram of his proposals, looks quite a good idea, i'll scan it in & post it later.........quoted £489 inc of everything
Andy

As far as I'm aware you can have anything you want. I was going the OEM route for the zorst but changed at last minute. Due to my body lift the exit position was also slightly changed - it was going to be cut into the rear bumper behind the rear wheel but due to the body lift the chassis rail was in the way. This would have meant putting in more bends. I therefore simply exited under the bumper.

Total cost was £480 though that was the pre VAT Increase price and Charlie mentioned that the cost of steel was going up - may be worth getting in quick!

Lorin said:
As far as I'm aware you can have anything you want. I was going the OEM route for the zorst but changed at last minute. Due to my body lift the exit position was also slightly changed - it was going to be cut into the rear bumper behind the rear wheel but due to the body lift the chassis rail was in the way. This would have meant putting in more bends. I therefore simply exited under the bumper. Total cost was £480 though that was the pre VAT Increase price
Yes, Charlie will make a system any way you want it. He did mine about a year ago for that price, it exits just behind the rear wheel and he neatly cut the bumper away a bit so that it sits as high as possible and it hasn't got 'bashed' yet. I've been very pleased with it, no louder than standard but with a nice deep tone. :thumbup:

Back