Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

That's a wrap

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
A mate of mine over in the Emerald Isles has just bagged himself a very nice 96 24 valve diesel auto 80.

He's a whizz when it comes to all things sticky so, he has decided to wrap the whole thing in 3M Matt Black.

Looking good so far:-

2010%2020%3A09%3A19.jpg

2010%2020%3A10%3A14.jpg

2010%2020%3A10%3A56.jpg

2010%2020%3A12%3A07.jpg

I think the plan is carbon fibre look arches and mirror backs :thumbup:

Sorry Paul - explain?

Not with you, 3M what?

C

Chris said:
Sorry Paul - explain?

Not with you, 3M what?

C
Chris, I'm sure you have seen the Sky TV vans going round with all sorts of images on them... they are called wraps, basically a huge sticker.

My mate is wrapping his whole 80 panel by panel in 3M sticky back 'plastic'.

I have seen vans with decals on and buses too, but is this a sort of stick on respray? It is tough? Is he going to do the whole vehicle with it? Is it expensive - durable?

I'm not being disparaging at all, trust me, but I have to ask, what's the point? As in what's the benefit? I do like the finish and black looks really cool.

Chris

to me boys the truck looked mint! why is he doing it? Wouldnt he have been better buying a ratter? Each to there own though. Is he thinking custom type,one off job?
karl :think:

Here you go Chris/Karl, straight from the horses mouth....

Yes it's tough Tensile strength 5 pounds/inch at 73°F (0.9 kg/cm at 23°C )
Has a 3 year warranty from 3M so quite durable.
Costs €16 per linear metre (1500mm wide)
Yes, doing the whole vehicle.

The point: well I quite like the finish, think it's eye catching, it's what I do for a living so obviously want to be able to show it installed!

With regard to the benefit, the residual value of a vehicle is much higher on a vehicle that has been wrapped and stripped as opposed to one that has been resprayed, as it has had the paintwork fully protected for the period of the wrap and is like new after removal!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ahh, so you do this to preserve a newer vehicle rather than renovate an older manky one. When I say newer, I mean one that is in good condition paint finish wise.

Does it come in cammo?

He says, hopefully

Chris

Looking forward to seing the end result.
Good idea for those of us who go lanning as the scratches are showing on my truck. If it was coverd i suppose you could recover the pannel needed. If that is his forte then i expect it will be a a1 job thats the point of doing it on his own motor.
I expect labour time would be crazy for something like that.
karl

could be very useful if you can get it totally transparant, would certainly save trashing the paintwork on bushes etc..

J66p
I have mates who have there superbikes done in a clear material dont know if its the same stuff but it protects aginsts sonechips.
karl

Wish I knew prior to me doing Dale Farm twice recently :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Eddie Stobart lorries are wrapped :)

Several brand new high-end cars are available with wraps including the BMW M3 and the Focus RS.

I was quoted approx £1000 to wrap the 80 in white. The benefits over a respray being the protection element and it being totally removable without any ill effects. Not decided yet......

Where did you get that quote from Lorin :?: I've always fancied a white Cruiser :thumbup:

Didn't Mike Brewers and Ed China wrap a VW transporter in a Blue "bubble" look in one episode of Wheeler Dealers?

AFAIR you can get this "wrap" any many different prints - fancy a leopard print 90? Or a Paisley 100? ;)

doesn't the wrap get scratched? So you're driving about in a scratched truck anyway and only the next owner gets to benefit? :) I do like the matt finish but you can get that for less than £1000 and have fun doing it :D

Day two:-

Started on the wing, then did the mirror in carbon fibre, thought it was a bit heavy to do arch so opted for Matt Black there too!

2010%2021%3A41%3A48.jpg

2010%2020%3A57%3A49.jpg

2010%2021%3A03%3A18.jpg

2010%2021%3A04%3A14.jpg

2010%2021%3A05%3A40.jpg

2010%2021%3A33%3A10.jpg

2010%2021%3A37%3A51.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: That's ever so clever :mrgreen:

Damn that's looking good. Ultra stealth. Does it reflect radar or speed cameras!!

I'd love my wheel arch flares and mirrors doing in black. He may get enough work just off here to retire Paul!

Chris

Back