Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What do you do?

Im a qualified Plumber, and the director of the Family Business doing Commercial Maintenance.

Left school at 16 with some O levels (remember them).
Got an mech. engineering apprenticeship at Hamworthy and got paid to go to college full time for a couple of years until I discovered girls and motorbikes, so flunked the remaining 2 years of college but got my papers.
Got bored and joined the police and served in Weymouth and Dorchester for 7 years.
Got bored and went to university on a grant I didn't have to pay back (remember them) and got an LLB(Hons)
Spent a year as a Private Investigator having advertised my own business on Talking Pages (remember that)
Trained as solicitor taking LPC part time while working in sports law practice.
Got into IT when Windows was version 1.0. Got good at internet things in law firm.
Got bored with law and did IT / project and programme management for last 20 odd years.
Ran own business doing same on consultancy basis for Telecoms and Travel industries for last 10 years of that. Moved to France in parallel, bought property with land and barns, did what others have done on TV and built a small holiday letting business.
Got a Disco 1, then got an 80. Got the overland travel bug and now doing some travelling, well planning for April right now.

Last edited:
I work for BMW as a master technician (1 of 66 in the uk)
Deal with a lot of fault jobs, repeat repairs, trim rattles, general complaints that aren't always a fault with the car. Interact with customers on a daily basis who have issues with cars. In depth electrical and mechanical fault finding/repair. Rebuild a fair few engines and recently made a few wiring looms as not been able to order a new one in time or price would write the car off (quite like doing that especially the bigger looms)

Qualified for hybrid repairs, can carry out repairs on the batteries (live 400 volt ones) replacement of cells and control parts within the battery casing, replacement of other components on the high voltage systems.

Do the odd service but not many nowadays.

Look after the apprentice, he's good at making coffee and tea now :lol:
Oversee work of other colleagues too

Last edited:
What an interesting bunch of stories. :thumbup:

Should add on a more 'exciting' day, I launched some fully armed (with nukes) bunch of Vulcan bombers and seen on a couple of occasions the aftermath of a sneaky visit from the SAS on our airfield :)

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

Spent the last few years mainly reading and slightly less so, participating, in various internet forums. I don't seem to have done much work!

Been a postman, a (hospital) kitchen porter, a TEFL teacher, a manager for a large bookmaker and for the last 20 years in IT, most of those as a (Oracle) DBA but the last few in a technical management role.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got bored and joined the police and served in Weymouth and Dorchester for 7 years.

That's my neck of the woods, I'm in Bridport, fortunately I've not had any brushes with the law so we wouldn't have met :)

I had quite an interesting University career, got the balance of partying and study finely tuned. Started with Biological Sciences but eventually graduated with a Desmond in Environmental Science. Ended up working on a large construction site as an engineers driver through a uni mate just as the main Civil Engineering Contractors started to need certified Environmental Management Systems which has kept me busy for the last 17 or so years. Worked with most of the big names, had a stint as a consultant before being made redundant in 2011 which resulted in me buying the 95 and doing the first Western Sahara Trip. Cut my planned trips short after Network Rail offered me a role at Crossrail.

Didn't really like the Client side of things so went back to the contractors side. Now working as a regional Environment Manager for the Infrastructure side of one of the UK's Biggest Construction Co's. Getting frustrated now with the way the industry is copying the idiotic methods Crossrail Ltd have introduced to the industry. 17 years of moving projects and my life every 18-24 months is starting to grate a bit particularly when the new crop of Project Managers can't understand delivering what the Client have employed us for or basic legal compliance.

Beginning to think of a life change/big trip. In 2004 myself and ex friend very nearly set up a property/tour company in Morocco but that fell apart when he revealed his was over £50k in debt and expected me to finance his and his families lifestyle.

I know what I want for a lifestyle, just need to work out how to finance it.

I design beaches for resorts in tropical locations and seascape coral gardens so that tourists don't trash the main reef. I am also training to be a mini sub pilot. It's the future of diving and underwater exploration, as no need to get wet and blow bubbles.

I design beaches for resorts in tropical locations and seascape coral gardens so that tourists don't trash the main reef. I am also training to be a mini sub pilot. It's the future of diving and underwater exploration, as no need to get wet and blow bubbles.
That sounds so cool. [emoji41]

....17 years of moving projects and my life every 18-24 months is starting to grate a bit...

I know very well where you're coming from there Mark. It's not so bad when you're YF&S but when there's a family in tow, it can be a PITA.

Since starting work in Birmingham in 1971, I spent 20 years with the same company commuting to various parts of the U.K. on motorway projects. Then after a failed marriage, I had ten years or so in West and South Wales on various road and motorway projects.

In 2001 I came to Romania on a 15 month secondment, got married and never went back.

In January 2005 we started an 18 months stint in Qatar, but was glad to get away.

Now, and for the last ten years, I've been involved with international projects. Including Romania, it's taken me to Bulgaria, Albania, Italy, Germany, Qatar, Oman, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and France, with almost half my working time these days in Istanbul.

It's a good compromise, because I live and my family stays in Romania.

I'm YF&S well MAF&S now but sometime wonder if its because of the constant travel, don't have much of a home base just somewhere rented near work. I own more cars than real estate :D

I'm YF&S well MAF&S now but sometime wonder if its because of the constant travel, don't have much of a home base just somewhere rented near work. I own more cars than real estate :D

Nothing against single life, but I tried it and it didn't like me :lol:

Travel now is a PITA away from the family, but it's for short periods one or two weeks at a time and although quite regular, it's manageable.

I've got a Landcruiser and an old ford.......................can't afford a family :laughing-rolling:

With your sort of background Mark i would be looking for opportunities in Oz , you might find a compromise that turns out to be better than the original plan .

That sounds like a cool Job! I was involved with a treasure hunting company for a while, they had a c16 wreck off the Scillys full of anchient chinese pottery (remember the Nan King? it wasn't that :eusa-shhh: ) I was driving the ROV. The business model involved getting a US lawyers diving club to fund the expedition while the club dived on it, it all sounded good until we found the wreck spread out on a very steep shelf, the main cargo/work site was at 60M going down very steeply to about 75M, which put it out of reach with the budget we could muster. All the US lawyers were insistant they could all do sat courses and still complete the project :laughing-rolling:

It's still there if anyone fancies funding a saturation diving team with a support vessel for 3 months :laughing-rolling: We had some pottery lodged in Southerbys vaults from the recce mission, I bet that's still there too!

really? I and I thought everyone on this forum was a professional blagger....... sorry blogger

really? I and I thought everyone on this forum was a professional blagger....... sorry blogger

When you question someones integrity without the slightest idea about them, it says more about you, than those you question.

It was in 1990/91 The company was called "now censored - shayne gave me an idea" based in Chester, I'm sure you can find details through companies house, the recce dive made the press, I've got a cutting somewhere.

Last edited:
It's still there if anyone fancies funding a saturation diving team with a support vessel for 3 months :laughing-rolling: We had some pottery lodged in Southerbys vaults from the recce mission, I bet that's still there too!

Southerbys! i would be out there with a dredger mate :icon-wink:

boring job just a H.G.V driver, foreman who earns lots of money

Oh own 9 houses which my sister which we rent out and one of them is Bulgaria

so boring really

Last edited:
Hardly! I reckon thats good going, i havent even got a pension to speak of should have ignored the get rich pension schemes and spent it on bricks and morter

Sent from my GT-I9060I using Tapatalk

Back