Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What do you do?

Southerbys! i would be out there with a dredger mate :icon-wink:

it was suggested, along with another dozen schemes :shifty: Imagine 10 ton ofporcelain spread over a rock outcrop/hillside swinging at it with a clamshell bucket, then imagine it underwater! Some of the lads wanted to go back to work it with KMB10's, heliox, wet stops, with surface decompression, but 75M with 10 knot tides and a 9M tidal range ain't in my book without a bell and full sat support.

There was some debate as to the recovered value, any option had to be funded with a zero return risk, every option had big numbers associated with costs tho. The Co MD went on started another Co trying to develop an ROV that could do it, he never got back to me so I presume nothing ever came of it. I just looked up the possible names we had for it, none are on the register of wrecks, so I doubt it happened. The wreck lies within sigting distance of the QR of wrecks so any work in the area would have to have been above board.

I was thinking more along the lines of hiring a local clam dredger fishing trawler shoot 150 fathom drag a bag and hope something survives , the gamble would be destruction of something valuable ... but how valuable is it if its lost forever .

I was thinking more along the lines of hiring a local clam dredger fishing trawler shoot 150 fathom drag a bag and hope something survives , the gamble would be destruction of something valuable ... but how valuable is it if its lost forever .

anything feasable is expensive, it's too close to shore for a beam dredge, too steep/rocky steps to do it from the shore, if you dredge to seaward you pull all the booty off the shelf into the abyss. I wanted to invent the worlds biggest air lift/suction dredge :laughing-rolling:

You've got me thinking tho :lol: the way technology has moved on since then, I bet you could build a kind of ROV on a rope with some sort of grab for reasonable sums :think:

21192918696_94fc30bab5_m.jpg

Sod all draft on this and i reckon it will be scrapped soon .

My early years were lived at a pace I still find hard to comprehend even now. My first car at 10 years old (Zephyr 6 MK III) was the start, I then started buying bangers and doing them up and selling them to neighbours and friends, then along came school. I hated school, the violence was unbelievable, if there was not rival school wars with bottle fights, there were ‘ban the cane’ strikes by teachers and of course the pupils, and with teachers being stabbed it was not a great place to be. Oh yes it happened in the London comprehensive’s and it is not something new, just suppressed for many years from the media. I left school with barely enough qualification’s to breath let alone get an apprenticeship as a mechanic and worked for a packing company in London. Six months later and finally got a job as an apprentice mechanic (thanks for taking pity B & M Auto’s) on cars and commercials. Three years on and another bit of paper I was offered a job with a small engineering company making discreet components for the MOD, as is normal MOD practice you never got to fabricate the complete part, so never did see the completed article but suffice to say it helped things go bang. That was great working with lathes/mills and so forth to exacting tolerances no CAD though just a very steady hand and a good eye.

The company moved out of the area and I drifted into a labouring job, it was local and it got into kitchen fitting, house/flat conversions/plumbing/electrics. This was good whilst it lasted but I wanted more money, I ended up driving a mini cab for a few years, your own hours and you controlled your wages, I then opened a couple of cab offices in Essex with a couple of other guys, during this time I became diabetic and found the weird hours and business stress made blood sugar control very difficult, in fact no, it made it damn impossible! Over time the businesses were sold and I went self employed as a mechanic. I had also developed a hankering for computers and started building and selling them as a sideline to the mechanic business. I had no computing qualifications but boy can I read! I decided to go to college, typical I could not sit an exam that was at the level I had achieved, this resulted in starting at the bottom, (big head bit coming up), less than a year later and having passed every exam they threw at me they offered me a job!!

Of course there was a caveat, I registered as a teaching assistant and they funded my teaching certification including various assessors modules, so I could teach and also set exams to suit the various curriculum changes as and when they happened. Passing that three years later this secured my permanent post as IT Lecturer and course tutor. I attended various courses to extend my computing knowledge including HTML, easy VB, and on to ‘C+’, this was padded out by Worcester College who tidied up my MS ‘Office’ and OS (WIN 2000 server) knowledge.

The college continued to fund my PDP or personal development paththrough to University to study for my degree in computer science, during this time the Labour party were calling for all teachers to be qualified and not all Uni teachers were, so I was called upon on occasion to step in which was a great buzz as the teachers were being taught by TEACHERS. Throughout these blurring years I continued to build custom cars, race engines, drag racing with the RWYB, Le Mans with the Jag club and underground street racing, i.e. the early ‘fast and the furious days’ but were more discreet and better organised, less laptops and more feeler gauges on Weber carburetor ‘O’ rings! I was also fixing family and friends cars when one day my heart decided I should just have a rest. Everything ground to a halt, after a spell in hospital I reduced my work hours and dropped out of University. As time passed and my health returned to an acceptable level, I had a stress test done which allowed me to apply for a HGV licence, this I did, the teaching career binned I plodded around for a few years driving whatever paid enough money. It would be a flat bed skateboard delivering pipework one week, the ‘Hovis’ long box bread lorries the following and yes, I did collect my fair share of street furniture driving those! Perhaps the best four year was threading 32 ton 8 leggers in reverse up peoples driveways with the materials for their extension AFTER they have signed the disclaimer about underground services damage. “Sorry guv you were warned” as you pulled off the pavement, their house lights go out, and slabs started lifting up as the water pressure was released from the broken pipes! The driving was great, you turned off the engine and you were finished, the teaching meant taking home work, reading the various nanny state directive’s about how the praise sandwichshould be delivered to a slipping student rather than tell him or her straight they was going to fail if they did not stop f*cking about, and who did not want to be there anyway. It never stopped, there was always some course to attend, even during holidays, I was simply not built for that any more, finally sold up everything and moved to Spain.

Now registered as self employed ‘multiservicios’ and as a fully legal business I fix cars and do property maintenance. I work when I want and for how long I want but, I have to keep the workaholic in me under rein, my body soon pushes back if I try to overdo it, I am in effect semi retired now and love it! The 80 is the hobby, a bit of scuba, and snooker or card nights with friends.

If your eyes have not glazed over by now, then thanks for reading.

Regards

Dave

How old are you Dave? I reckon you must be at least 103. :laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:icon-biggrin: 57 this year but look around 21 and with a body like Adonis.

regards

Dave

What's a dentists body like? Oh sorry I misread that as body like a dentist. :doh:

Another IT guy here.

Started out doing development, then networking, then moved back to development, then did a bit of DBA and moved to syadmin / operations in 2004, which is where I've been since. Long time open source contributor, I've worked exclusively on and in opensource for the last 15 years. These days I mostly spend my work time helping people implement large scale data centre solutions ( cloud! ).

With a growing family and lots of visitors, we needed a 7 seater and found the 120 - thats how I jointed the forum and met the great people here.

I grew up around Nissan patrols and the odd landcruiser ( my grandfather has a 40 series, its still sitting in a garage on the other side of the world ).

When you question someones integrity without the slightest idea about them, it says more about you, than those you question.

It was in 1990/91 The company was called "now censored - shayne gave me an idea" based in Chester, I'm sure you can find details through companies house, the recce dive made the press, I've got a cutting somewhere.

Great speech -but totally irrelevant.

If you were able to think latterly you would have decoded the post to work out the sarcasm was directed at how much time we are able to spend on the forum. There are those of us who don't feel the need to prove our integrity by publicly disclosing our means to means. Still, if you are on here then somebody has a day off!

To be fair i did read IRLGW's comment as a tongue in cheek piss take out of all of us (himself included) as in "get some bloody work done instead of sitting there talking cruisers" . No harm done surely ?

Banter often goes wrong in text because there is no body language or laughter to soften the blow . I think in the case it went wrong simply due to a matter of timing , would you not have chuckled if you read the blogger/blagger bit an hour before you posted Pumpy ?

Last edited:
To be fair i did read IRLGW's comment as a tongue in cheek piss take out of all of us (himself included) as in "get some bloody work done instead of sitting there talking cruisers" . No harm done surely ?

Banter often goes wrong in text because there is no body language or laughter to soften the blow . I think in the case it went wrong simply due to a matter of timing , would you not have chuckled if you read the blogger/blagger bit an hour before you posted Pumpy ?

I don't think you'd do a bad job as a Dispute Mediator either Shayne, so that's at least 3 strings to your bow... :lol:

Indeed, I think you're right Shayne, if it had been posted at any time except directly after me I might have viewed it differently, as it wouldn't have appeared to be prompted by my post or directed at me personally. If jovial emotions had been added I might have viewed it differently too.

In RL if someone you have never had any interaction with butted into a conversation with similar pan faced sarcasm, I suspect it would have been taken as a derogatory comment also. If subsiquent reply berated you for a lack of lateral thinking, you might have been left a little perplexed too.

I apologise to those who took offence enough to down thumb my subsiquent sarcastic reply, sarcasm it seems is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe it's an age thing LOL

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...sarcasm-over-65-scientific-study-older-people

Senior deal leader, mid market mergers and acquisitions

(help yourself if you to work out what that actually mean :) )

before that I owned a chain of fish and chip shops, before that I was a stockbroker.

Gas contracts Manager for Housing Trust in Manchester it pays the beer bill

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back