Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

8th & 9th Jan laning in Wales

Damn, these Wales trips seem to be getting mighty interesting.

I definitely wont be missing the next one.

As long as you don't end up starring in it Ryan, we'll be OK.

Chris

Great pics/write up gents. Keith, hope you're on the mend by now and all will set straight where it needs to :thumbup:

Great wrote up guys. Sounds like an eventful trip. Keith I hope you get well soon and the surgery went well.

Jon I was under the impression that you could dial 112 from a sat phone, well in Europe at least...

I meant to ask that too. Is it true or one of those urban legends.

Quick visit to google I think...

C

Rob said:
Great wrote up guys. Sounds like an eventful trip. Keith I hope you get well soon and the surgery went well.

Jon I was under the impression that you could dial 112 from a sat phone, well in Europe at least...
1st time I needed the phone in an emergency I tried that and it didn't work so I looked into it and it was always a 'coming soon' facility. Maybe they upgraded the network capability since I last checked. On an ordinary mobile phone it's easy for the network operator to know what the emergency call centre is for any given cell and route the call but on a sat phone they would have a bigger data set to manage.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Blimey :shock: Not cheap are they :!: Sat phones that is :) I take it that there is absolutely no mobile phone reception up there then :?: What about a set of inshore flares as an alternative emergency/distress signal :?: Would they be appropriate & functional :?:

There was/is a spot halfway back down the track where a phone signal pops up but there's nothing on the rest of the lane... You certainly can't rely on the mobile phone to get you out of the sh!t out there...

Sat phone is next on my very near future buys as a few know.
Around wales area there is no signal 80 percent of the time.

As a life line, Jon said it costs a bit to first buy but after that not a massive amount to own one. In my opinion if it costs 200 pounds a year for that safety net that isn't alot.

I said to the girlfriend last night when she said about the cost. It really could be the difference between life and death.

My helmet for my mtorbike was nearly 500 pounds. Can you put a price on some things?????

Karl

I think it depends a lot on the situation. Someone could have driven back to where there was phone reception and called it in from there plus talked back to the scene of the incident on CB providing they had a decent set up or just gone to and from and left those at the scene 'in the dark' until help actually arrived. In this case the sat phone was not the difference between life and death, far from it, but it did make the situation much easier to manage and less stressful I think, Keith knew there was a plan and help was on the way at a very early stage. I bought a sat phone because I used to go laning a lot on my own and have been along Strata and lanes like it many times solo so it didn't really seem all that expensive but it's been a while since I last got out on my own.

I agree with that Jon for the weekend just gone. It wasn't life or death.

Myself and Dave have gone together down to the wales area and not had any signal for hours.

Are CBS are good when traveling together but no good for any kind of distance.

For me personally it is a must.

Like you said earlier in the post Jon. You still need to know where you are at that point in time. I'm working on that bit aswell.

Karl

A lot of the sat-phones I've just been looking at have some sort of GPS capability in-built Karl. They are very powerful devices!!!

In hind sight we can say it wasn't life or death or even all that serious but you don't know how it will go at the time and I don't think any of us were thinking oh he's only broken his leg, no problem :)

We certainly weren't!!! Can you imagine if he'd gone over & clonked his head :shock: It doesn't bare thinking about!!!

Have you heard anything more from the nephew BTW Jon? I've sent Keith a text & left a voicemail...

Gav Peter said:
Have you heard anything more from the nephew BTW Jon? I've sent Keith a text & left a voicemail...
Only that he should have had his op by now and has been in a lot of pain partly due to taking all his pain killers in one go instead of spacing them out apparently :lol: I expect he's still out for the count or not allowed his phone yet but will be txt'ing later.

The guy is a farkin' legend!!! LMFAO!!! What a nightmare patient he must be!!! :lol:

Hopefully hear from him soon then eh :cool:

There is SPOT Messenger which maybe a cheaper option than a sat phone although it does not allow two way communication, it does do fancy tracking (for a fee) which is handy in it's own right.

Another plus point is you don't have to know who to call and try and make yourself understood in a foreign country. (or Wales)

Steve, I carry flares. They are about 6 million candelas and go up about 500 feet. I don't think that anyone would have seen those. They are really only any good for getting people to home in on your [strike:ikehlc1p]final resting place[/strike:ikehlc1p] position.

Someone really has to be looking for you.

Chris

Brought me sat phone lads. Only cheap one but as long as it works ok and does the job then all good :thumbup:

Not from a bloke in a yellow Reliant Robin was it?

Kris

Back