Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

8th & 9th Jan laning in Wales

Lads, now i've been following this thread but haven't comented as i'm not into laning, i use my 80 to tow a large trailor with a hot air balloon on & the only off roading i do is to retrieve the balloon from farmers fields & the like, sometimes there's a bit more to it but the 80 is more than capable, my question is do you all carry first aid equipment ?

Yes. And a lot more besides. Used to being out in the field on my own. Usually carrying a rifle in tricky terrain. Not everyone knows how to use a first aid kit of course, but someone might come along who does. It's like carrying tools in your truck. You might be crap on the spanners. But someone comes along who could fix you up if only they has a 54mm socket!!

Not about to start lugging 25 of ATF with me though. :lol: :lol:

Chris

joinerman said:
Lads, now i've been following this thread but haven't comented as i'm not into laning, i use my 80 to tow a large trailor with a hot air balloon on & the only off roading i do is to retrieve the balloon from farmers fields & the like, sometimes there's a bit more to it but the 80 is more than capable, my question is do you all carry first aid equipment ?

I've usually got a full trauma kit in there complete with IV's, chest seals, tourniquets, you name it.

I dont but may get one together. Gav was talking about one of those shinny sheets that keep you warm. Good idea really
karl

first aid kits, shiney sheets, emergency bivy, all sorts of stuff :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK, not a doctor of medicine, but there are issues with shiny blankets which is why I didn't use mine on Keith. They reflect heat. Great. Unless there isn't any. If someone's core temperature falls too low (the one that they measure by sticking a thermometer up your ... Cough!) Then covering you in a blanket actually keeps heat OFF you. Keith was getting very cold and covering him in tin foil would not have helped. Once we got him out of that wind, he warmed up and then a foil blanket would have been good, but to be fair he was so chatty by this time that I didn't think it was necessary.
Having said that get one in your kit Karl for sure. They can be used for all sorts. I won't tell you what I carry in mine for bullet wounds!

I know I wasn't under the tent with you guys, but I was monitoring his progress and evaluating his condition and reporting back to the medics when I could.

Tommo, not surprised that you carry lot that 'cos you drive a great big boat blowing the s*** out of naughty people all over the World!

Crisp

and i get the kit and the training for free, as much as i can carry!!

in fact i should really get you some of our gunnshot kits.... just in case!!

Tommo&Claire said:
joinerman said:

I've usually got a full trauma kit in there complete with IV's, chest seals, tourniquets, you name it.

Whats IV's? :think:

Intravenous. Basically fluids. If you had lost a lot of blood or had a catastrophic bleed which was taking a while to plug, then by getting fluids into you, be it saline, plasma etc will stop your blood pressure from dropping so low that it causes cardiac arrest. Plus once the canular is in, it is easier to administer pain relief etc. Thats the serious end of the spectrum.

Can also be used to rehydrate you in a hurry... loads of uses really.

24Seven said:
Tommo&Claire said:
joinerman said:

Whats IV's? :think:
Intravenus drip?

Tommo&Claire said:
Intravenous. Basically fluids. If you had lost a lot of blood or had a catastrophic bleed which was taking a while to plug, then by getting fluids into you, be it saline, plasma etc will stop your blood pressure from dropping so low that it causes cardiac arrest. Plus once the canular is in, it is easier to administer pain relief etc. Thats the serious end of the spectrum.

Can also be used to rehydrate you in a hurry... loads of uses really.

So you carry fluids in your first aid kit in your truck and are trained to use and can find a vein? :shock:

Yes, yes and yes.

It depends where i am and what i'm doing. Some stuff deteriorates in a hot car, but if i'm overlanding i'll have it all with me.

Tommo&Claire said:
Yes, yes and yes.

It depends where i am and what i'm doing. Some stuff deteriorates in a hot car, but if i'm overlanding i'll have it all with me.

Hats off to you then :thumbup:

Thats very good going, I've seen first hand many seasoned paramedic failing to get in a cannula into a vein, it's not easy for sure.

Tommo&Claire said:
Yes, yes and yes.

What no fridge Tommo?

Yeah it's difficult, and it depends how quickly you get to the casualty. in the case of gunshots then they can bleed out very fast and in that case then finding a vein is VERY difficult but you don't have a choice, you have to find it. Plus the standard points like the wrist and the crook of the elbow may not be there any more.

Fridge, it's on my list but i'll be like "Ringers solution or beer ...hmmm :think: "

Thanks for all the advise, but I think we are far in excess of any training I have had.

Do you carry a defibrillator as well? I remember how hard it was to decide if it was a shockable rhythm or not, not something to get wrong really :mrgreen:

No that's beyond my training. I have a flow chart card that they issue to us where you follow the step by step guide of what to do in various situations we may encounter on the battlefield. Next time i'm at Lincomb i'll bring a few copies and people can have them on a first come first served basis if you like? Lots of it is irrelevent and it's easy to spot which bits, the rest is really good.

Ref cardiac arrest the advice is simple, if not under effective enemy fire then carry out CPR until the medics arrive, if under effective enemy fire then casualty is T4 (dead) :!:

While I don't doubt your medical training is far superior to mine...
Tommo&Claire said:
I have a flow chart card that they issue to us where you follow the step by step guide of what to do in various situations ...

You'll want to pull out that card where your patient cannot see you reading it. Not going to fill him with hope if he sees you reading a crib sheet :(

Crispin said:
While I don't doubt your medical training is far superior to mine...
[quote="Tommo&Claire":1lcoj0l0]I have a flow chart card that they issue to us where you follow the step by step guide of what to do in various situations ...

You'll want to pull out that card where your patient cannot see you reading it. Not going to fill him with hope if he sees you reading a crib sheet :([/quote:1lcoj0l0]

If you're reading THAT card he's not seeing anything mate!

Back